Rituals experimentation in a non-functional playful environment
Istanbul is Exhibitions! Istanbul is Talks! Istanbul is Events
Performances! Shows! Happenings! Psssss-Baaam!
Market driven interventions, superficial political involvement, anachronistic public installations!
It seems like this bustling city of galleries is proud of its own shallowness.
The art scene is happily living in a detached numb sphere of self-legitimization.
What can an artist learn when confronted with such an isolated world? Considering the boredom of Istanbul’s art world, where should a Turkish young artist get inspiration from?
Where to find the proper environment to develop a performative dimension?
Danger lies in monotony.
How to escape from norms and restrictions of normality and truly enjoy the alternative reality of a separate world?
How to surf in a collective stream of adrenaline?
Where to rely on the bonding effect of collective risk taking?
Hippodrome and horse gambling. Where else?
The racing environment creates a social micro-dimension characterized by absurd rituals, freed from inhibitions which lead to intriguing abnormalities in gambler’s body-language.
No better place to develop a new collective performative dimension.
We observe. We study. We test new rituals.
We start with 2 liras. After winning 4 in a row, we loose a total of 72 liras in the fifth race.
Totem Receipt #1:
- Take notes on any detail you notice.
- Let the prophet arise from the crowd.
- Hide the prophet’s sight.
- Test and share the prophet’s prophecies.
- Select a table to play by trying different tooks with people sitting.
- From the selected table, pick the horse to bet on by holding as many mikados on the people’s limbs until they fall.
- Make sure they all wear horse hair ties.
- Let the mascot manifest himself.
- In case of success, let the mascot pick all the horses throughout different contests with the prophet.
- Make sure to keep taking notes.
- Let the mascot smoke half a cigarette.
- Let the mascot grab a bite.
- Don’t let anybody talk for 2 minutes before the race.
- During the race make all the observers pull each other.
- Bet everything and cheer.
- Replicate steps 11 to 13.
- Get inspired by gipsy kids.
- Destroy a dollar per each kid.
- Replicate steps 17 to 19.
- Let all the spectators destroy a dollar.
- Replicate steps 13 to 21.
- Cover the mascot’s face with dollars.
- Let the mascot chew the borek until he feels like stopping.
- Replicate steps 13 to 22.
- Let the mascot spit the borek he chewed before.
- Make sure to involve more people in the pulling process.
- Replicate steps 13 to 25.
- Win and wait.
- Think twice before betting again.
ŞİKİ BABA betting is infectious.
with Kaba Hat